Target 25 Programs
In 2011, York County, PA Court of Common Pleas Judge John S. Kennedy identified some startling trends in the county:
• 25% of all cases on the docket were DUIs
• Of those, 25% were for repeat DUI offenses
• 25% of DUI offenders were re-arrested for a subsequent DUI before their case was adjudicated
Judge Kennedy began working with officials throughout the county, and cooperatively they implemented the country’s first Target 25 program. This innovative, locally-driven program has turned the tide on repeat drunk driving in York County.
Pennsylvania’s Target 25 Program Reducing Repeat DUIs by 90%
York County, PA’s Target 25 Program relies on technology and the collaborative efforts of the district attorney’s office, local law enforcement, judges, the county’s DUI Court, and probation/parole to curb repeat drunk driving.
Get Them Early, Get Them Sober: How One DUI Court Judge’s Pretrial Program Reduced Repeat Drunk Driving by 90% – April 2016
PA’s Nationally Recognized DUI Reduction Initiative – May 2015
The Target 25 Program Model
Under the leadership of Judge Kennedy, York County’s judges, the district attorney’s office, local law enforcement, probation/parole, and local SCRAM provider Vigilnet worked cooperatively to develop the Target 25 program, which fundamentally changed the way DUI cases are handled.
Under Target 25, law enforcement officers run a records check during every drunk driving stop. Suspects with prior DUIs are immediately arrested and taken for a blood-alcohol test and a bail hearing before a district judge. In contrast to typical “catch and release” approaches or traditional bail requirements, Target 25 requires pretrial supervision and 24/7 Continuous Alcohol Monitoring for all repeat DUI offenders.
• Repeat offenders committing new DUIs in the same year dropped 90%
• Alcohol-related crashes resulting in injury or death fell 21% in York County in 2013
To learn more, download this Target 25 Implementation Guide, developed in cooperation with York County officials.
• Get Them Early, Get Them Sober: How One DUI Court Judge’s Pretrial Program Reduced Repeat Drunk Driving by 90% (On-Demand Webinar, April 2016)
• PA’s Nationally Recognized DUI Reduction Initiative (On-Demand Webinar, May 2015)
• Judge John S. Kennedy and the Target 25 Program (ghsa.org)
• York County program reduces drunk driving (abc27.com)
• York County works to cut DUIs by issuing alcohol-monitoring bracelets (York Daily Record)